As gardener Judy Kenzie of Strathcona 1890 Urban Seed Collections shares some of her favourite unique and easy-to-grow seed blends with MONTECRISTO, she also serves up delicious recipes that can be made from the resulting harvests.
This Herb-Stuffed Pattypan Squash can be made from the yield of Kenzie’s Rare & Unusual collection.
1 Pattypan squash (per person)
1 tbsp olive oil
1 clove fresh garlic, diced
2 tbsp fresh basil, ribboned
1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
1 tsp thyme leaves
1/8 cup crumbled parmesan cheese
salt and pepper to taste
01. Cut around the stem of the squash and remove seeds from inside.
02. Remove remaining squash from around the stem, dice, and set aside.
03. Roast whole squash in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 400°F.
04. In a small pan, sautée diced garlic in olive oil for 1 minute. Add in diced squash and sautée for another minute.
05. Remove from heat, stir in basil, parsley, thyme, and parmesan. Stir in parmesan, reserving a small amount for topping.
06. Season with salt and pepper.
07. Remove squash from the oven, stuff with filling, top with remaining parmesan, and serve.