MONTECRISTO Magazine: A Vancouver State of Mind.
MONTECRISTO collaborates with some of the finest writers, illustrators, and photographers working in Vancouver to create an engaging, eclectic editorial mix, including fashion, culture, food, wine, travel, books, art, beauty, business, architecture, design, and more. The magazine also puts a particular emphasis on philanthropy and local history, as well as artisans and craftspeople in Vancouver and abroad.
Founder & Publisher
Pallavi Rao & Niko Bell
Director of Sales, Marketing & Distribution
Distribution & Office Assistant
MONTECRISTO magazine’s most recent honours are listed below.
Environmental Printing Awards
2019 Climate Champion Award for outstanding support of Hemlock Printers’ Zero program and MONTECRISTO’s
commitment to action on climate change.
Silver medal at the 2010 Environmental Printing Awards for the most environmentally progressive print project in Canada.
Folio: Eddie Awards
2019 Finalist for Best Single Article in a Consumer Magazine – Fashion & Beauty category for “Uncanny Valley” from the Spring 2019 issue.
2019 Winner for Best Single Article in a Consumer Magazine – Fashion & Beauty category for “Overcast” from the Winter 2018 issue.
2017 Honorable Mention for Best Single Article in a Consumer Magazine – Animals category for “The Other Side of Lost” from the Winter 2016 issue.
2015 Finalist for Consumer – Website – General Interest (MONTECRISTOmagazine.com).
2014 Finalist for Consumer – Website – General Interest (MONTECRISTOmagazine.com).
Folio: Ozzie Awards
2018 Honorable Mention for Best Print Photography for “Time Management” from the Winter 2017 issue.
2012 Silver Ozzie Award winner for Best Use of Photography in a Consumer Magazine for “Homestretch” from the Summer 2011 issue.
National Magazine Awards
2022 Nominated for Lifestyle Photography for “Modern Romance” from Spring 2021 issue & “Pieces of You” from Winter 2021 issue.
Winner for Best Portrait Photography for “Never Left Art School” from the Winter 2012 issue.
Finalist for Best Still-Life Photography for “Homestretch” from the Summer 2011 issue.
Western Magazine Awards
Winner for 2014 Best Online Magazine (MONTECRISTOmagazine.com).
Finalist for 2014 Magazine of the Year (B.C. and Yukon).
Finalist for Best Arts, Culture, and Entertainment Feature for “Never Left Art School” from the Winter 2012 issue.
Designer, NUVO and MONTECRISTO Magazine
TO APPLY PLEASE SEND COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO firstname.lastname@example.org.
The assistant art director reports to the art director of NUVO and Montecristo magazines, which are based in Vancouver. Duties focus on supporting the art director and art team of both magazines. Applicants must be able to work in Vancouver.
- Design layouts for print and marketing materials.
- Design digital assets for NUVO and Montecristo websites.
- Assist with production, prepare and distribute post-production files, and resize print art for the web
- Design and post online stories using HTML/CSS
- Collaborate with editorial, production, and marketing departments.
- Ensure NUVO and Montecristo branding and design standards are maintained internally and externally.
- Help conduct photo research
- Assist with commission of illustrations and communicate with illustrators to maintain project schedules.
- Work directly with the art director on all aspects of photo shoot production, including commissioning teams and liaising with vendors, to ensure that the shoot is successful and falls within budget.
- Act as a production assistant on photo shoots when needed.
- Conduct photo research for features.
- Assist with visual direction for print-to-web production.
- Provide assets for web crops and web clips as needed.
- Maintain a contributor database
- Execute creative team’s administrative tasks, including processing invoices.
Skills and qualifications:
- 2+ years of design experience in publishing, media, or relevant field.
- Proficient in creating graphic elements, layouts, and spreads to spec for publishing, mobile, and online.
- Excellent creative and visual conceptualization, written and verbal communication skills.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, evolving, dynamic environment
- Highly organized, detail oriented, self-sufficient and resourceful.
- Ability to prioritize work and handle multiple projects with tight deadlines
- Professional demeanour with ability to interact at all levels within the organization.
- Proficient in Adobe Creative Suite (InDesign, Illustrator, Photoshop).
MONTECRISTO is printed by Hemlock Printers, a carbon neutral company in Vancouver, B.C., using recyclable inks on 100 per cent post-consumer recycled paper that is ethically sourced.
MONTECRISTO was awarded 2019 Climate Champion Award for outstanding support of Hemlock Printers’ Zero program due to its commitment to action on climate change.
MONTECRISTO follows and engages with environmentally and socially responsible initiatives. Our in-office recycling program diverts materials from the landfill back into reuse. MONTECRISTO uses Rolland’s Enviro® paper made from 100 per cent sustainable recycled paper for corporate communications. Made from 100 per cent post-consumer sustainable fibre, and with biogas as a main energy source, Rolland’s Enviro® product line has the smallest environmental footprint in North America’s paper industry.